Sunday, September 22, 2013

BeerCan Chicken

 

Step 1: Prep the chicken

                                  Need beer in cans; whole chicken; dry BBQ seasoning; any other spices you can think of; I use disposable aluminum pie plates but improvise if you have to. Hardest part of this recipe is to drink only HALF of a can of beer. Then top up the can with spices. I used hot sauce, soyo sauce, worcestershire, vinegar, black pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and montreal steak spice. Then shove the can up the arse of the chicken and sit it in the pie plate.

Step 2: Stuff the chicken

                              Then I stuff some quartered onion down the neck and plug the neck with a sausage. Sprinkle the dry BBQ seasoning over the skin and some Savoury seasoning. Light one side of your BBQ on low-med and place the whole thing carefully on the unlit side. (In this case I was doing two chickens so I lit both sides on low). I had boiled a kettle full of water beforehand, and poured about an inch of water in the pans once on the BBQ .

Step 3: Cook it

                             If your BBQ is big enough; close the lid. I had a smaller one before and closed the lid as much as possible propping it open with a rock. Basically let it cook while drinking the rest of the beer. About every 20 mins baste the chicken with the juices in the pie plates (I use a turkey baster); and turn the plate 1/4 turn when you do. It'll take about 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 hours to do but that really depends on your BBQ, cooking skills, etc.
                             I cannot take credit for this as I learned it from friends but was surprised it wasn't on here already. The kids love the recipe and it makes quite a tasty and fun BBQ meal. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment